Thursday, April 16, 2009

stinking thinking

“Stinky Thinking” is a phrase that is said a lot to convey that what we think when we do not have the Word of God in our thinking. Even Christians are not immune to this as I can testify to this. I grew up in a Baptist Church from a little child, learned scripture, and even as an adult, I studied the bible very intently as I went to many bible studies. But until you apply those scriptures to yourself, thinking as I did, “hey, these scriptures do not apply to me, they are for non-Christians.”
The bible was written to Christians, not to non-Christians so they do apply to Christians.

Another facet of this equation is that at some point in our lives, when we allow satan to enter into our minds and we believe his lies, we can get “stinky thinking”. I became a basket case until I learned to apply the truth from God’s Word. I used to just read the scripture without thinking that it applied to me and that I should pay attention and meditate on it. Now when I find a scripture that speaks to me, jumps out at me you might say, I write it down on an index card, sometimes several cards and put them throughout the house. I memorize the scripture and think about it and let it get down into my spirit. That is when it can correct your thinking as God will work on you to straighten out your “stinky thinking”. It is marvelous how God works in you to straighten out your “stinky thinking”. If we just let Him work in us instead of us trying to fix things, He does a much better job of it. I tried for years to fix things: my relationships, my self-esteem, etc. I cannot stress how God has been changing my “stinky thinking”. I just praise Him most nights when I go out and have my quiet time with Him. Most of all I praise Him for dying in my place on the cross so I do not have to die and go to hell. You can too by accepting Him as your savior and repenting of your sins. This will be the first day of your life headed to heaven instead of hell. Who wants to go there! There is only brime stone and fire everlasting! But the Christian life is not a bed of roses, you will still be attacked by satan because he hates you and wants you to be miserable and be an ineffective witness for Christ. But you are going to heaven where there is joy eternal! Hallelujah!

The Merry Heart

No comments: