Saturday, November 17, 2007

Sacrifices to God

The other day I made a sacrifice to the Lord. No, I didn’t burn an animal on the altar. I gave up something for the sake of something of greater value, a definition found in my husband’s old college dictionary from the 1950's. Sounds like Lent, but since I’m not Catholic, it was not Lent. I just learned from this same dictionary that Lent is the 40 day period from Ash Wednesday to Easter, observed in some churches by fasting and penitence to commemorate Jesus’ fasting in the Wilderness. I didn’t know it was to commemorate Jesus’ fast, learn something everyday. It could be a worthy cause if done for the right purpose.

Some time back a friend had invited me to her small prayer group at her house but I declined since it started at 8:00 in the morning. I do not make appointments ever before 9:00 since I have insomnia and if I do not get enough sleep, I take a nap after breakfast and usually get up around 8:30. However, recently, I felt compelled to go but knew that I would have to sacrifice my sleep.
But I really do need that nap to get through the day so I asked God to give me enough sleep so as to be able to go to this prayer group. And the Lord did just that!

For those of you who do not know as well as me, Ash Wednesday according to this same dictionary is “the first day of Lent and 7th Wednesday before Easter; so called from the practice of putting ashes on the forehead as a sign of penitence”. I use this old dictionary as the definitions are closer to the original meanings intended by Webster who founded the first dictionary in the English language.

A merry day to you from the Merry Heart

No comments: