Saturday, November 17, 2007

Joys of Growing Older

Oh, the joys of growing older. Your desires, wants, and needs are dictated for you by the time clock of your body. We have to do this, do that, don’t do that, eat this, don’t eat that, yet “Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day”, 2 Corinthians 4:16. That is why I don’t feel a day over 21 while going to be 70 next March. Or at least most of the time I feel 21! Sometimes your doctor becomes your best friend when he keeps telling you that something is wrong with you and he wants to give you a pill. So far I am only taking one prescription medicine. A few times my doctor has wanted to give me a pill but I refused as I wanted God to help me on this issue and He is.

My husband and are both diabetics so after much trial and error, we pretty much have reduced our diet down to just vegetables, meats and a few fruit. We can’t enjoy all those “soul comfort foods” that we used to indulge in where we packed on the pounds! But we find that we don’t really miss those “soul comfort foods” as we feel so much better, “our inward being”. We must exercise, which our body, “outwardly part”, doth protest. But we find that we feel so much better. We must keep a good mental attitude, “inward being”, or we will languish but we find that we feel so much better. Proverbs 17:22, “A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed Spirit dries up the bones”.

Another thing that we must do is to exercise the brain, “inward being”, or we will develop dementia or alzheimers disease or much worse like you put many sheets of Kleenex through the wash! I never used to do that but lately I have begun to notice a few bits of them once in a while and I always blamed my husband but then I usually blame my husband when things go wrong, I couldn’t have done that! And he is so convenient to blame! One of his jobs around the house is to wash the clothes and put them away. Sometimes I do my own clothes when I have certain things that I wish to do myself which I did the other day. Lo and behold, my wash was awash with bits and pieces of Kleenex and even whole pieces of clean Kleenex! I couldn’t believe that I had progressed to the point where I washed many sheets of Kleenex clean! I know that I checked all the pockets! As I took out articles of clothing, I kept finding pieces or whole Kleenex! There was no way that I could pin this on my husband since obviously I had done my own clothes. So obviously I must have done it, so humbly I acknowledge that it was my fault and not my husband’s and obviously I must exercise my brain more. I know that I checked all the pockets!

A merry day to you from the merry heart!

1 comment:

Billy said...

Hi Mom, I am glad you still feel 21.

My wife won't let me do the laundry. I have tried to "help" a few times and I have messed something up every time. We decided it is better if I stay far from the laundry.

I like the blog! Keep up the merry heart!